"Fort McIntosh" is located on the campus of Laredo Community College in Laredo, Texas. Originally it was known as Camp Crawford. The fort was renamed in honor of Lieutenant Colonel James Simmons McIntosh a hero in the Battle of Molino del Rey on September 26, l847. Forts Worth, Graham, Gates, Croghan, Scott, Lincoln, Duncan, and McIntosh were established around this time to guard the frontier. These outposts were named in honor of fallen officers in the Mexican-American War. Today, Fort McIntosh is marked by four distinct architectural eras: Early Fort McIntosh Period 1849-1861, Civil to Spanish-American War Period 1861-1898, Modern Fort McIntosh Period 1900-1945, and Laredo Community College Period 1946 to the present. The street names honor fallen heroes, presidents, fort commanders, officers, and soldiers.